European Sea Ports Organisation (ESPO)
Treurenberg 6 - B-1000 Brussel
Tel:+32 2 736 34 63
Fax:+32 2 736 63 25
In 1993 he moved to Brussels where he established the office of FEPORT, the Federation of European Private Port Operators. Patrick Verhoeven was the first Secretary General of the organisation, a position which he held for seven years. During this period he also represented the interests of UNISTOCK - the European federation of agribulk storekeepers - and ECASBA - the European association of ship brokers and agents.
In 2000, Patrick Verhoeven was appointed Secretary General of the European Sea Ports Organisation. ESPO represents the port authorities, port associations and port administrations of the seaports of the European Union. The organisation was established in 1993 to promote policies and viewpoints of the European port sector with, primarily, the institutions of the European Union.
In parallel to his activities for ESPO, Patrick Verhoeven is currently preparing a doctoral thesis at the University of Antwerp on port management reform in Europe.
- Verhoeven P. (2010). A review of port authority functions: towards a renaissance?, Maritime Policy & Management, 37(3), pp. 247-270.
- Verhoeven, P. (2009). European ports policy: meeting contemporary governance challenges, Maritime Policy & Management, 36(1), pp. 79-101.
- Notteboom, T., Verhoeven, P., Fontanet, M., (2012), Current practices in European ports on the awarding of seaport terminals to private operators: Towards an industry good practice guide, Maritime Policy and Management, 39(1), 107–123
- Notteboom, T. and Verhoeven, P. (2010), The awarding of seaport terminals to private operators: current practices and viewpoints of European ports, European Transport / Trasporti Europei, 45(2010): 83-101
- Pallis, A.A. and Verhoeven, P. (2009), Does the EU Port Policy Encompass Proximity?, In: Notteboom, T., Ducruet, C. and De Langen, P. (Eds.), Ports in Proximity, Farnham, Ashgate, 99-114
- Verhoeven, P. (2011), European port governance – Report of an enquiry into the current governance of European seaports, Brussels, European Sea Ports Organisation
- Verhoeven, P. (2010), Dock Labour and the European Union, In: Dempster, J., The Rise and Fall of the Dock Labour Scheme, London, Biteback Publishing
- Verhoeven, P. (2009), 50 Years of Debate on EU Ports Policy, In: Wareham, P. (Ed.), Proceedings European Maritime Law Organisation (EMLO) Conference, London, CMP Publishing
- Verhoeven, P. (2006), Port management reform in Europe: is there a role for the EU? in: Notteboom, T. (Ed.), Ports are more than piers - Liber Amicorum presented to Prof. Dr. Willy Winkelmans, Antwerpen, De Lloyd, 33-35