In pursuit of its commitment to promote quality research and strengthen research links, particularly among young researchers, the academic journal Maritime Economics & Logistics organises its fifth Competition for the best PhD Theses that have been successfully defended during the period 1st July 2011 to 28th February 2013.
Submissions will be peer-reviewed by an international Jury composed of 11 members, including the three PortEconomics co-directors, and a member of the PortEconomics team:
- Professor Hercules Haralambides, Erasmus University Rotterdam, NL
- Professor Alfred Baird, Napier University, Orkney Isles, Scotland
- Professor Mary R. Brooks, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Professor Kevin Cullinane, Napier University, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Professor Peter de Langen, Eindhoven University of Technology, NL
- Dr. Jan Hoffmann, UNCTAD, Geneva, Switzerland
- Professor Theo Notteboom, ITMMA, Antwerp
- Professor Thanos Pallis, University of the Aegean, Greece
- Professor Photis Panayides, Cyprus University of Technology, Cyprus
- Professor Ross Robinson, University of Tasmania, Australia
- Professor Anna Sciomachen, University of Genova, Italy
The "Palgrave Macmillan" Prize for the best PhD thesis, accompanied by a prize of € 1,000, will be awarded at a ceremony that will take place in July 2013 during the annual conference of the International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), in Marseille (www.iame2013.org). The five short-listed authors are expected to either join the IAME annual conference to present their work in a special session or arrange for suitable representatives to present on their behalf.
Authors should submit an electronic copy of their thesis plus an approximately 6,000-word paper of publishable quality, encapsulating the essence of the thesis (particularly the methodological part). Literature review should be limited to the absolute minimum, i.e. to works that bear directly upon the development of the thesis. MEL's Instructions to Authors can be found on the journal's website.
Submissions should be accompanied by a letter from the competent university authorities confirming that the PhD thesis was defended after 1st July 2011.
2014-IAME-De Oliveira-Carriou-Competition on container port-Paper
2014-IAME-Cruiser-Satta et al- Presentation
2014-IAME-Destination satisfaction: cruiser expenditures&behavioural intension predictor-Satta et al
2014-IJTE-Vitsounis et al
2014-IAME-Port Industry Performance Management-Langenus & Dooms-Presentation